When to go and weather
High Season (Jul, Aug & Oct–Jan)
- January may be very wet.
- Spikes in French school holidays push down availability in July and August.
- July and August bring cooler temperatures, especially in the Cirques.
- October and November are the best months for hiking.
Shoulder (Apr, May, Sep)
- Visitor numbers fewer but temperatures still high.
- Great deals for accommodation.
- Fewer people on hiking trails.
Low Season (Feb, Mar & Jun)
- Extremely humid in February and March; temperatures between 27°C and 33°C on the coast.
- Peak cyclone months are February and March.
- June is the quietest month.