Qatari riyal (QR)
Budget: Less than QR500
- Double room in a simple hotel: QR300–400
- Cheap salad or sandwich: QR10–15
- Bus tickets: QR3–9
- Double room in a comfortable hotel: QR600–800
- Lunch and dinner in local restaurants: QR50–150
- Short taxi trip: QR15–20
Top end: More than QR1000
- Double room in a luxury hotel: more than QR1000
- Fancy lunch and dinner in an upmarket eatery: more than QR150
- Car hire: QR120–330 per day
Bargaining is expected in the souqs; while malls have fixed prices, it’s still worth asking for a discount in boutiques and smaller shops.
ATMs are widespread, and credit cards widely accepted.
ATMs & Credit Cards
All major credit and debit cards are accepted in large shops. Visa (Plus and Electron), MasterCard and Cirrus are accepted at ATMs of HSBC, the Qatar National Bank and the Commercial Bank of Qatar, which also accepts American Express and Diners Club cards.
The currency of Qatar is the Qatari riyal (QR). One riyal is divided into 100 dirhams. Coins are worth one, five, 10, 25 or 50 dirhams, and notes come in denominations of one, five, 10, 50, 100 and 500 riyals.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
Tips are not expected in bars, hotels or taxis.
- Restaurants A service charge of 10-15% is usually added to top-end restaurant bills. If no tip is included, 10% is appreciated, but be discreet, as some establishments have begun to reduce wages in anticipation of tips.