Puerto Rico in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

Puerto Rico's entry and exit formalities are the same as they are for mainland US.

Customs Regulations

Goods brought into the US in greater quantity than the duty-free customs allowances are subject to taxes and tariffs and must be declared at customs.

Cigarettes/Cigars Each person over 18 can bring 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars duty free into Puerto Rico or the US.

Currency US law permits you to bring in or take out as much as $10,000 in US or foreign currency, traveler’s checks or letters of credit without formality.

Gifts US citizens are allowed to import, duty free, $400 worth of gifts from abroad, while non-US citizens are allowed to bring in $100 worth.

Liquor Each person over the age of 21 can bring 1L of liquor, duty free, into Puerto Rico or the US. From Puerto Rico, you can take out as much purchased alcohol and tobacco as you wish without paying any duty on it.

Plants Declare any plants, fruits or vegetables at the airport. The US department of agriculture restricts many island plants.


Visa formalities are exactly the same as for the mainland US.

Further Information

  • You only need a visa to enter Puerto Rico if you need a visa to enter the US, since the Commonwealth follows the United States’ immigration laws. For many countries, an ESTA (Electronic System for Transport authorization, https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta) must nevertheless be applied for.
  • As a commonwealth, Puerto Rico subscribes to all the laws that apply to traveling and border crossing in the United States.
  • US citizens can enter the Commonwealth with proper proof of citizenship, such as a driver’s license with photo ID, a passport or a birth certificate.
  • Visitors from other countries must have a valid, scannable passport. Countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program – the EU, Australia, New Zealand and much of Latin America – don’t need visas to get into Puerto Rico.
  • International travelers will most likely transit through an East Coast hub such as New York City or Miami, or arrive from Europe on one of several new, cheap, direct flights.
  • US Department of State (www.state.gov) has up-to-date information about visas, immigration etc.