Attractions

Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Cuartel de Ballajá

Built in 1854 as a military barracks, the cuartel is an impressive three-story edifice with large gates on two ends, ample balconies, a series of arches and a protected central courtyard that served as a plaza and c…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

El Capitolio

The capitol of the Commonwealth is in an impressive columned and domed neoclassical building in a commanding location overlooking Puerta de Tierra's wave-lashed coast. The much-revered constitution of the Commonweal…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Casa de Ramón Power y Giralt

Once the residence of a political reformer and Puerto Rico’s first representative to the Spanish court, this 18th-century house is now the headquarters of the Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico. It contains small exh…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Palacio de la Real Intendencia

The imposing Palacio de la Real Intendencia sits on the western side of the Plaza de Armas. Built in the 19th century, this neoclassical beauty houses the Department of State of Puerto Rico along with the neighborin…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

La Princesa

Built against the outside wall of the city, this long, gray and white building, once a jail, now houses the main offices of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company (PRTC). The bronze statue in front depicts Doña Felisa Gaut…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Casa Rosa

Built in 1812, this tropical pink villa first served as barracks for Spanish troops. In 1881, it was converted into officers’ quarters. The building has since been restored and is used as a day care center for the c…
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Edifico de la Diputación Provincial

Originally constructed as a marketplace in the mid-1800s, this neoclassical building now houses offices of the Department of State of Puerto Rico alongside with the Palacio de la Real Intendencia.
Notable Building in San Juan & Around

Instituto de Cultura Puertorriqueña

Constructed in the mid-19th century as a shelter for the poor, this bright-yellow building houses the executive offices of this institute. Its interior courtyards are pleasantly tranquil.