- Palácio Belmonte Idyllic 15th-century luxury palace near Castelo de São Jorge.
- Casa do Príncipe Excellent-value nine-room B&B occupying a 19th-century neo-Moorish palace.
- Santiago de Alfama A ruined 15th-century palace turned boutique gem in Alfama.
- Lisbon Calling A lovely Santa Catarina backpackers with original frescoes, azulejos and hardwood floors.
- Lisbon Destination Hostel World-class hostel housed in Lisbon's loveliest train station.
By Budget: €
- Lisbon Calling Boutique hotel-level style and quality make this Santa Catarina hostel a top choice.
- Lisbon Destination Hostel Top-quality sociable sleeps inside Estação Rossio, Lisbon's most stunning train station.
- Home Lisbon Hostel Family-run hostel in the heart of Baixa with top-end facilities, including an atmospheric bar.
- Independente Stylish boutique option across from the dramatic Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara.
- Living Lounge Straddling Chiado and Baixa and steeped in vintage cool, this social hostel oozes restrained hipness.
By Budget: €€
- Casa do Príncipe Exquisite nine-room B&B inside a former 19th-century neo-Moorish palace in the heart of Príncipe Real.
- Lisbon Story Guesthouse Wonderful guest house with themed rooms overlooking lively Largo de São Domingos.
- Casa Amora Discerning and stylish boutique hotel with lovely gardens and personalised service near historic Mãe d'Àgua.
By Budget: €€€
- Palácio Belmonte Meticulously restored 15th-century luxury palace steps from Castelo de São Jorge.
- Santiago de Alfama Newish 19-room boutique gem in Alfama steeped in style and regional touches.
- Valverde Exquisitely curated, high-design 25-room boutique newcomer inside a luxury converted town house on Av da Liberdade.
- Palácio Verride Boutique restored 18th-century palace featuring lavish money-is-no-object suites.
- Pestana Palace Lisboa Sleep like a count in a restored National Monument palace with Versailles-like gardens.
Rooms with a View
- Memmo Alfama Trendy boutique hotel with stunning views over Alfama from its roof terrace.
- Albergaria Senhora do Monte Hilltop midrange mere steps from Miradouro da Senhora do Monte in Graça.
- As Janelas Verdes Romantic 18th-century mansion offering sweeping Rio Tejo views.
- Palácio Verride On Miradouro de Santa Catarina, where Bica and Tejo views abound between royal-worthy sheets.
- Memmo Príncipe Real Terraces with firepits beckon from some rooms in this cradle of cool in Lisbon's hippest hood.
- Pestana Palace Lisboa Italian architect Nicola Bigaglia's 1904 Valle Flor Palace – a National Monument – houses this historically stunning hotel.
- Palácio Belmonte An ornate 15th-century palace once belonging to the family of Brazil explorer Pedro Álvares Cabral.
- As Janelas Verdes Romantic 18th-century mansion with a wonderful bougainvillea-draped courtyard.
- Palácio Verride Stay amid original azulejos in the converted dining room of the palace of Count Verride.
- Casa do Príncipe A 19th-century neo-Moorish palace in hip Príncipe Real that hides a fantastic-value DIY B&B.
- Valverde Exquisitely designed 25-room boutique town house steeped in European art.
- Santiago de Alfama Refined, design-forward Alfama guest house awash with contemporary art.
- Palácio Verride A new 19-room hotel dressed in exquisite Nordic minimalism.
- Casa do Príncipe In a restored 19th-century neo-Moorish palace, this nine-room B&B sits in the heart of Lisbon's coolest bairro.
- Hotel 1908 An Intendente newcomer with art installations by Bordallo II and others.
- Hotel Britania Low-key art-deco superstar off far glitzier Av da Liberdade.