Information from Viator
On this historical tour from Lisbon, spend a lovely day in the charming Portuguese villages of Constância and Tomar, and discover the history of the Knights Templar, a Christian military order that played arole in the great battles of Europe during the Middle Ages. Visit Almourol Castle, built by the Knights Templar, and the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and former Templar stronghold. This small-group tour is limited to eight people, ensuring a personalized and valuable experience with your guide.
Departing from central Lisbon, head to one of the most mystical places in Portugal, Almourol Castle, which was built by the Knights Templar to defend the boundary line below the Tagus River. Take a boat ride on the river to the castle, where you’ll have half an hour to explore and soak up the medieval atmosphere.Next, enjoy the drive in a comfortable minivan to the beautiful village of Constância, known for being one of the places frequented by famous Portuguese poet Luís Vaz de Camões, who wrote the epic poem Os Lusíadas. With your expert guide, take a walk in Parque Constância, one of the most magnificent parks in this region of Portugal, and enjoy the contact with nature, just like the Templar Knights did. Here you will also taste a typical delicacy made from almonds and eggs (included).Your next stop is the beautiful city of Tomar, one of Portugal’s historical gems. The city was built according to the rules of the Knights Templar, with four religious monuments constructed around the city to form a perfect crucifix. The most impressive of these monuments is the ensemble of the Castle of Tomar and the Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site built by the Templars in the 12th century. Visit the castle and convent with your guide. You'll spend a good part of your day in Tomar, where you can enjoy lunch at a local eatery (own expense) and walk to popular Tomar attractions like the Gothic-style Church of Santa Maria do Olival, built in the 12th century as the pantheon for the Knights Templar. After exploring Tomar, return to Lisbon by comfortable minivan.
- Hotel pickup (or nearest location possible) only in certain areas of the city (center). It may be required to get to a standard pick-up point (i.e Cais do Sodré train station or Saldanha metro station)
- Drop-off at 2 centrally located points: Restauradores square / Marquês de Pombal
- Small-group tour (8 people max.
- Professional but informal local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Live commentary on board
- WiFi available in the minivan
- Boat ride to Almourol Castle (susceptible to weather conditions)
- Local pastry
- Entry/Admission - Convent of Christ
- Entry/Admission - Igreja de Santa Maria dos Olivais
- Entry/Admission - Castle of Almourol
What's not included
- Food and drinks (including meals), unless specified
- Hotel drop-off
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Small group ensures personal service
- Hotel pickup included