We will visit the Temple of Diana. The Roman Temple in Evora is one of the largest and best preserved Roman temples in the whole of the Iberian Peninsula and was considered a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986. It is the former libris of the city of ÉvoraThen we will visit Bones Chapel. The Chapel of the Bones was built in the seventeenth century on the initiative of three Franciscan friars whose purpose was to convey the message of the transience and fragility of human life. This message is clearly passed on to the visitors at the entrance, through the warning: "We bones here we are, for yours we hope". It shows, deep down, the macabre taste of baroque man for necrophilia.After Lunch we will visit the Cathedral of Évora Founded in 1186 and consecrated in 1204, the Évora Cathedral, dedicated to Santa Maria, is the largest medieval cathedral in the country, and an incomparable example of Roman-Gothic transition architecture.
ItineraryThis is a typical itinerary for this productStop At: Templo Romano de Evora (Templo de Diana), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoAlthough the Roman temple of Évora is sometimes called Temple of Diana, it is known that the association with the Roman goddess of the hunt originated from a legend created in century XVII. In fact, the temple was probably built in honor of the emperor Augustus, who was venerated as a god during and after his reign. The temple was built in the first century AD in the main square (forum) of Évora - then called Liberalitas Julia - and modified in the second and third centuries. Evora was invaded by the Germanic peoples in the fifth century, and it was at this time that the temple was destroyed; nowadays, its ruins are the only vestiges of the Roman forum in the city.Duration: 30 minutesStop At: Cathedral of Evora (Se Catedral de Evora), Evora, Evora District, AlentejoBasilica Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, better known as the Cathedral of Évora, or simply Sé de Évora, although begun in 1186 and consecrated in 1204, this cathedral of granite was only completed in 1250. It is a monument marked by the transition of the Romanesque style to the Gothic, marked by three majestic ships. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the cathedral received major improvements, dating from that time to the choir, pulpit, baptistery and arch of the chapel of Nossa Senhora da Piedade, also known as Esporão Chapel, a rare example of Plateresque hybrid architecture, dating from 1529. From the Baroque period date some gold-toned altarpieces and other occasional improvements in the sumptuous decorations. Still in the 18th century the cathedral was enriched with the construction of the new main chapel, sponsored by King D. João V, where the exuberance of the marbles was wisely combined with the Roman-Gothic austerity of the temple. In 1930, at the request of the Archbishop of Évora, Pope Pius XI granted the Cathedral the title of Smaller Basilica.Duration: 40 minutesStop At: Igreja de Sao Francisco, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoAccording to tradition, the Convent of St. Francis of Evora was the first house of the Franciscan Order in Portugal, having been founded in the 13th century. According to the canons of the Rule of St. Francis, the early monastic church had three naves, with chapels communicating with each other. In this primitive building there were several important ceremonies, such as the marriage of D. Pedro I with D. Constança Manuel. From this period there remain a few vestiges, as attested by the cracks that line the main porch. The church would be remodeled at the end of the fifteenth century, having built the magnificent temple that today subsists and which is one of the most impressive Portuguese churches. Respecting the original limits, the three ships were replaced by the single subsisting nave, covered by the bold gothic-Manueline vault that reaches twenty-four meters high. The Convent of St. Francis then lived its golden moments, when the court of King Afonso V began to settle in the convent space during his stays in Évora. In this way, the church of San Francisco was elevated to the category of Royal Chapel, hence the multiple royal emblems of D. João II and D. Manuel I. At this time, the monastery received the title of Convent of Gold, such as the wealth with which the Royal Family decorated it.In these years of splendor (which in some way contradicted the Franciscan spirituality (of poverty and simplicity), a less glorious period followed, accentuated by the loss of independence (in 1580). In the eighteenth century, several altarpieces of gold and marble carvings were built (most of them subsidized by the granaries of the respective chapels, where they had a private burial place).Duration: 1 hourStop At: Capela dos Ossos, Evora, Evora District, AlentejoChapel of bonesBones ChapelGothic StyleBeginning of the building Seventeenth centuryReligion ChristianityWebsite igrejadesaofrancisco.ptGeographyCountry Portugal PortugalRegion AlentejoCreate alertVision of the Interior WallsThe Bones Chapel is one of the most famous monuments in Évora, Portugal. It is located in the Church of San Francisco. It was built in the 17th century on the initiative of three Franciscan monks who, in the spirit of the time (religious counterrevolution, according to the norms of the Council of Trent), intended to convey the message of the transience of life, as can be seen from the famous warning at the entrance: "We bones here we are waiting for you." Besides the spiritual question, there was also a physical question, which is; there were in the region of Évora forty-two monastic cemeteries that were occupying too much space and strategic places that many intended to use for other purposes. Thus, they decided to remove the skeletons of the earth and to use them to construct and to decorate the chapel.The chapel, built on the site of the primitive brotherhood dormitory is formed by 3 naves of 18.70 m in length and 11m in width, entering the light by three small cracks of the left side.Its walls and eight pillars are "decorated" with bones and skulls connected by brown cement. The vaults are brick-plastered in white, painted with allegorical motifs to death. It is a monument of a penitential architecture of arches ornamented with rows of skulls, cornices and white ships. It has been calculated around five thousand bones, among skulls, vertebrae, femurs and others, coming from cemeteries, located in churches and convents of the city, and which were connected with brown cement and are arranged by the walls, ceiling, columns and even outside . There are still two whole skeletons hanging by chains on one of the walls, one of which is that of a child.Duration: 1 hourStop At: Bacalhoa Vinhos de Portugal, Vila Nogueira de Azeitao, Setubal District, AlentejoBacalhôa Wines of Portugal is a Portuguese winery founded in 1922 under the name of João Pires & Filhos. In 1998 the control of the company was bought by José Berardo, who acquired new properties and entered into a partnership agreement with the Lafitte Rothschild group. In 2008 the Lafitte Rothschild Group acquired a stake in the company, which acquired more properties and a majority stake in the Aliança winery. Its headquarters are located in the historic Quinta da Bacalhoa.Currently Bacalhôa produces in all the main Portuguese wine regions, namely, Alentejo, Setúbal Peninsula, Lisbon, Bairrada, Dão and Douro.With proof of three wines, white, red and moscatel with guide of the cellarDuration: 1 hour