Polish złoty (zł)
Budget: Less than 200zł
- Hostel dorm bed: 65zł
- Meals in milk bars and self-catering: 40zł
- Day pass for local transport: 15zł
- Double room in a midrange hotel: 400zł
- Meal in a midrange restaurant: 100zł
- Museum tickets: 10–30zł
Top end: More than 600zł
- Double room in a top hotel: 800zł
- Meal in an upscale restaurant: 300zł
- Ticket for opera: 200zł
At flea and tourist gift markets it's an acceptable practice to bargain a little over prices. Elsewhere prices are fixed.
ATMs and kantors (currency-exchange kiosks) are fairly common. Credit cards are generally accepted and often preferred to cash.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
Tipping is customary in restaurants, cafes and at service establishments such as hairdressers; optional elsewhere.
- Hotels Not expected but can leave 10zł per night for housekeeper; similar for bellboys and helpful concierges.
- Restaurants Standard is 10%. At smaller establishments and for smaller tabs round to nearest 5zł or 10zł increment. Leave tip in cash if you pay bill by credit card.
- Taxis Round up the fare for good service.