Welcome to Łańcut
Over the years, the residence has been reshaped and remodelled, gaining rococo and neoclassical elements. The final important alteration, at the end of the 19th century, gave the building its neo-baroque facades.
The last private owner, Alfred Potocki, one of the richest men in pre-WWII Poland, accumulated a fabulous collection of art during his tenancy. Shortly before the arrival of the Red Army in July 1944, he loaded 11 railway carriages with the most valuable objects and fled with the collection to Liechtenstein.
Just after WWII, the 300-room castle was taken over by the state and opened as the Castle Museum. Visits are by guided tour only. Among the highlights are the 17th-century Grand Hall (Wielka Sień), the Renaissance-style Eastern Corridor (Korytarz Wschodni) and the rococo Corner Room (Pokój Narożny). You’ll be shown the Orangery (Oranżeria), with palms and parrots, and Potocki’s collection of 55 carriages and sleighs in the Coach House (Wozownia), 300m south of the castle. The Stables (Stajnie), north of the Coach House, have a fine collection of more than 1000 icons from the 15th century onwards.
Just outside the large park surrounding the castle is the former synagogue, built in the 1760s. It has retained much of its original rococo decoration and some liturgical items are on display.
There are several places to stay. The most atmospheric is the Hotel Zamkowy, within the castle complex, though the rooms fall a little short of the overall opulence of the place. There’s also a pretty castle restaurant, but try to book ahead, especially on weekends when the restaurant tends to close down for wedding parties.