Nuevo sol (S)
Budget: Less than S190
- Inexpensive hotel room or dorm bed: S28–165
- Set lunches: less than S15; supermarkets have takeout
- Entry fee to historic sights: average S10
- Double room in midrange hotel: S85–435
- Main dish at midrange restaurant: S40
- Group tours: from S120
Top End: More than S650
- Double room in top-end hotel: from S250–435
- Private city tour: from S200 per person
- Fine restaurant dinner: from S60
Bargaining is the norm at street stalls and markets, where it’s cash only.
Changing money in Trujillo is a distinct pleasure – some of the banks are housed in well-preserved colonial buildings and all have ATMs that accept Visa and MasterCard. If lines are long, visit the casas de cambio (foreign-exchange bureaus) near Gamarra and Bolívar, which give good rates for cash.
Banco BBVA Continental Bank housed in the handsome Casa de la Emancipación.
Banco de La Nacion Bank with fee-free ATM.
BCP Bank with ATM.
Interbank Bank with ATMs.