Nuevo sol (S)
Budget: Less than S190
- Inexpensive hotel room or dorm bed: S28–165
- Set lunches: less than S15; supermarkets have takeout
- Entry fee to historic sights: average S10
- Double room in midrange hotel: S85–435
- Main dish at midrange restaurant: S40
- Group tours: from S120
Top End: More than S650
- Double room in top-end hotel: from S250–435
- Private city tour: from S200 per person
- Fine restaurant dinner: from S60
Bargaining is the norm at street stalls and markets, where it’s cash only.
ATMs are found around the Plaza de Armas, at the airport, Huanchaq train station and the bus terminal. All accept Visa, most accept MasterCard.
There are several big bank branches on Av El Sol; go inside for cash advances above daily ATM limits. Casas de cambio (foreign-exchange bureaus) give better exchange rates than banks and are scattered around the main plazas and especially along Av El Sol. Money changers can be found outside banks, but rip-offs are common.
Credit cards are accepted at more and more hotels, restaurants and tour operators, though it's always smart to ask in advance.