First jungle voyage? You’ll find things far more relaxing than the movies make out. The jungle, you’ll see, has largely been packaged to protect delicate tourists. With lodge facilities and the below kit list, you should be ready for most eventualities.
- Two pairs of shoes, one for jungle traipsing, one for camp.
- Spare clothes – in this humidity clothes get wet quickly; take a spare towel, too.
- Binoculars and a zoom lens camera, for wildlife in close-up.
- Flashlight for night walks.
- Mosquito repellent with DEET − bugs are everywhere.
- Sunblock and sunglasses – despite that foliage, you’ll often be in direct sun.
- First-aid kit for basics such as bites, stings or diarrhea.
- Plastic bags to waterproof gear and pack nonbiodegradable litter to take back with you.
- Lightweight rainproof jacket.
- Sleeping bag, mat or hammock if sleeping outside.
- Books − cell phones rarely work and neither do TVs; electricity is often limited to several hours daily.