Nuevo sol (S)
Budget: Less than S190
- Inexpensive hotel room or dorm bed: S28–165
- Set lunches: less than S15; supermarkets have takeout
- Entry fee to historic sights: average S10
- Double room in midrange hotel: S85–435
- Main dish at midrange restaurant: S40
- Group tours: from S120
Top End: More than S650
- Double room in top-end hotel: from S250–435
- Private city tour: from S200 per person
- Fine restaurant dinner: from S60
Bargaining is the norm at street stalls and markets, where it’s cash only.
Currency and traveler’s checks can be exchanged in various places at highly unfavorable rates. Due to frequent power outages, bank machines can be out of service.
If you are purchasing your Machu Picchu entrance tickets here, you may only do so in Peruvian soles. Bring ample cash!
ATMs run out of cash, especially on the weekends. They include the following: