Welcome to Paulet Island
The island was discovered by James Clark Ross’ expedition of 1839–43 and named for the Right Honorable Lord George Paulet, a captain in the Royal Navy.
On February 12, 1903, Nordenskjöld’s ship Antarctic, which had been crushed by the Weddell Sea pack ice for weeks, finally sank 40km from Paulet. The 20 men sledged for 16 days to reach the island, then built a 10m-by-7m hut on the northeast coast, where all but one survived the winter. Today, the ruins (a pile of stones and some roofing timbers) are populated by Adélies. Above them is a 100m-long ovoid melt lake. Marked by a cross, the grave of Ole Christian Wennersgaard, a seaman from the expedition who died of heart disease in 1903, lies along the shore 300m east of the hut, but it can’t be reached without disturbing the nesting penguins.