Budget: Less than US$50
- Hostel bed: 80,000G
- Fast-food evening meal: 25,000G
- Economy bus ticket: 60,000G
- 3-star hotel room: 200,000G
- Standard evening meal: 80,000G
- Standard bus ticket: 90,000G
Top End: More than $175
- 4-star hotel room: 350,000G
- Top-range evening meal: 150,000G
- Car hire: 450,000G
Paraguay is a cheap-enough country and locals rarely haggle over prices. There is no need for you to do it unless you think you are being overcharged. Start by asking yourself what the item would cost you at home.
ATMs widely available. Credit cards accepted in most hotels and restaurants.
ATMs & Credit Cards
- ATMs in major cities and towns are connected to Visa, MasterCard and Cirrus networks but often incur usage charges (25,000G).
- Outside of the Mennonite Colonies there are no ATMs in the Chaco.
- Plastic is rarely accepted outside the major cities, and sometimes comes with a surcharge.
- Most ATMs have a daily withdrawal limit of 1,500,000G.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com
Offer a few thousand guaranies to anybody who goes out of their way to help you. It will usually be appreciated, but if it is rejected don't insist.
- Bars Not expected.
- Restaurants Between 5000G and 10,000G is considered normal on pricier meals.
- Taxi Drivers are not usually tipped.
Banknote values are 2000G, 5000G, 10,000G, 20,000G, 50,000G and 100,000G; increasingly useless coins come in denominations of 50G, 100G, 500G and 1000G. Keep plenty of change and small notes as you travel.