Historic Building in Hillsborough

Hillsborough Castle

The British monarch's official Northern Ireland residence is this rambling, two-storey late-Georgian mansion, which was built in 1797 for Wills Hill, the first Marquess of Downshire and extensively remodelled in the…
Church in Hillsborough

St Malachy's Parish Church

St Malachy's is one of Ireland's most splendid 18th-century churches, with twin towers at the ends of the transepts and a graceful spire at the western end. A tree-lined avenue leads to the church from a statue of A…
Historic Building in Hillsborough

Hillsborough Fort

Built as an artillery fort by Colonel Hill in 1650 (William of Orange stayed on his way to the Boyne in 1690), Hillsborough Fort was remodelled as a Gothic-style tower house in 1758. Only the grounds are open to the…
Historic Building in Hillsborough

Hillsborough Courthouse

Dating to 1765, this fine old Georgian market house was used as a courthouse from 1810 until 1986. It now exhibits various displays describing the working of the courts.