Money and Costs
Pound sterling (£)
A bit of mild haggling is acceptable at flea markets and antique shops, but everywhere else you're expected to pay the advertised price.
ATMs widely available. Credit cards accepted in most hotels and restaurants.
For current exchange rates, see www.xe.com.
- Restaurants Around 10% in restaurants and teashops with table service. Nearer 15% at smarter restaurants. Tips may be added to your bill as a 'service charge'. However, paying a tip or a service charge is not obligatory.
- Pubs & Bars Not expected unless table service for your meal and drinks is provided; then 10% is usual.
Budget: Less than £55
- Dorm beds: £18–25
- Cheap meals in cafes and pubs: £7–11
- Bus or train ticket: £3–12
- Double room in midrange hotel or B&B: £50–120
- Main course in midrange restaurant: £15–28
- Admission to museums: £7–17
Top end: More than £120
- Four-star hotel room: from £130
- Three-course meal in a good restaurant: around £40
- Car rental per day: from £35