What to Take
- Basic medical kit
- Malaria pills and deterrent spray
- Sunhat and sunscreen
- Good walking boots for hikes and muddy trails.
- Umbrella for tropical downpours
- Torch for electricity blackouts
What to Wear
Nigerians are expressive dressers and pretty much anything goes, though you should dress modestly for religious sites and in Muslim areas. Loose cotton clothes are best in the intense heat. Lagos is a great place to shop for funky Afro fashions, and throughout the country tailors will copy favourite garments for you: just buy some gorgeous local fabric first.
It's illegal to wear camouflage/army-style clothes.
- Visit your doctor six weeks in advance for vaccinations.
- Leave plenty of time to arrange your visa paperwork, which includes arranging a letter of introduction.
- Book accommodation in advance if you're going to Lagos.
- Start taking malaria pills one to two days before you leave.