An underground Roman basilica that was rediscovered in 1917 during railway construction work has been restored and will open to the public for the first time.
The underground basilica was created in the first century AD for the worship of a secret cult based on the writings of Pythagoras and Plato. It is elaborately decorated with stucco reliefs of gods, panthers, cherubs and pygmies. Visitor numbers to the site on the outskirts of Rome will be limited to protect the fragile stucco work. Read more: telegraph.co.uk