A Russian hunting lodge in eastern Turkey is to be restored and converted into a tourism complex.
The lodge was built by Russian tsar Nicholas II in 1896 when the province was under Russian occupation and was closed when Turkey recaptured the area in 1917. Since then the 28-room Katerina Hunting Lodge, situated in the Sarıkamış forest, has been left to rot. The building is a classic example of 19th-century Balkan architecture with solid wood panelling and once restoration work is complete it will reopen as a 50-bed hotel. Its location in the province of Kars is close to the ancient ruins of Ani, near Turkey’s border with Armenia. Read more: hurriyetdailynews.com