Rainforest near Purto Maldonado, Peru.
Rainforest near Purto Maldonado, Peru.

A 32-year-old Canadian woman has died after drinking a 'tobacco purge' tea during a shamanic ceremony at a rainforest retreat in Peru. Jennifer Logan had a medical reaction after ingesting the substance and initial autopsy results show the cause of death as pulmonary edema - accumulation of fluid in the lungs that lead to respiratory failure. Logan was taken by motorcycle and boat to a hospital, but doctors were unable to revive her. Read more: cbc.ca

Explore related stories