Lonely Planet Writer

Five Japanese men ill after eating puffer fish

Puffer fish on sale at the Tsukiji Fish Market.
Puffer fish on sale at the Tsukiji Fish Market. Image by J Driskell / CC BY 2.0

A group of five Japanese men who ate poisonous parts of a puffer fish – known as fugu in Japan – have taken ill, and the restaurant in Wakayama that reportedly served the fish has been shut down for five days. An official stated that the men requested to be served fugu liver, a banned part of the fish. Several people are hospitalised in Japan annually after eating puffer fish, the preparation and serving of which requires specialist training and a licence. Read more: japantimes.co.jp