New Zealand dollar ($)
Budget: Less than $150
- Dorm bed: $23-40
- Bowl of noodles or a kebab: $10–15
- Entry to Te Papa or Mt Victoria Lookout: free!
- Local bus or train ticket: $2–5
- Double motel room: from $130
- Main course in a midrange restaurant: $15–32
- Local live band: $10
- Short taxi trip: $10–20
Top end: More than $300
- Double room in a top-end hotel: from $200
- Three-course meal in a classy restaurant: $80
- Long night drinking in the bars and clubs: $100
- Harbour sailing trip: $40
Haggling and bargaining aren't traditionally part of commercial culture in NZ. The only circumstances where you might have some luck are farmers markets (chipping a couple of dollars off the price of a big bag of kiwifruit at the end of the day) or large private purchases (buying a local guy's car for a knock-down price).
Major banks with ATMs are scattered around town, with clusters along Courtenay Pl, Willis St and Lambton Quay.