New Zealand dollar ($)
Budget: Less than $150
- Dorm beds or campsites: $25−40 per night
- Main course in a budget eatery: less than $15
- InterCity or Naked Bus pass: 15 hours or five trips $125−159
- Double room in a midrange hotel/motel: $110–200
- Main course in a midrange restaurant: $15–32
- Car rental: from $40 per day
Top End: More than $250
- Double room in an upmarket hotel: from $200
- Three-course meal in a classy restaurant: $80
- Domestic flight Auckland to Christchurch: from $100
Haggling and bargaining aren't traditionally part of commercial culture in NZ. The only circumstances where you might have some luck are farmers markets (chipping a couple of dollars off the price of a big bag of kiwifruit at the end of the day) or large private purchases (buying a local guy's car for a knock-down price).
There are ATMs in Oneroa.