Information from G Adventures
The North Island of New Zealand is blessed with spectacular scenery, ranging from bubbling thermal pools to fast flowing rivers. The best way to see all of this? Get up close and personal. This itinerary includes biking through Karangahake Gorge and hiking the Tongariro Crossing – one of the world's most famous one-day hikes – before jet boats and kayaks provide the transport along the Whanganui River. Mix in some bubbling mud and a traditional hangi dinner, and this is the perfect active introduction to New Zealand.
- Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group Your Local Living Moment: Maori Village Overnight Visit, Rotorua
- Cycling through Karangahake Gorge
- Traditional hangi dinner
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing hiking excursion (weather dependent)
- Jet boat and kayaking along Whanganui River
- Free time in Rotorua
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Cycle through stunning karangahake gorge
- Check out bubbling mud pools in a geothermal area
- Learn a traditional maori greeting on the marae
- Hike the tongariro crossing – one of the world's greatest one-day hikes
- Kayak along the whanganui river.
Day 1: Auckland Arrive at any time.
Day 2: Auckland/Rotorua Enjoy a morning cycle through Karangahake Gorge, then travel to the Rotorua region to the Tamaki Maori Village. After a traditional greeting on the marae (meeting grounds), learn the arts of the haka and poi before a traditional hangi dinner.
Day 3: Rotorua Enjoy a free day in Rotorua, a town in a geothermal area with boiling mud and hotpools. Opt to go whitewater rafting, tackle an offroad mountain bike track, go hiking, or hit the spa.
Day 4: Rotorua/Tongariro National Park Conquer the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, New Zealand's top-rated 1-day trek and spend the afternoon hiking an active volcano.
Day 5: Tongariro National Park/Whanganui National Park Experience another of New Zealand's "Great Walks" (this time, from a canoe) on a day trip into the heart of Whanganui National Park.
Day 6: Whanganui National Park/Raetihi Explore the Whanganui River further by jet boat, visiting old Maori and European settlements.
Day 7: Raetihi/Wellington Transfer to Wellington and opt to visit the Te Papa Museum.
Day 8: Wellington Depart at any time.