When to Go
High Season (Dec–Feb)
- Summer brings busy beaches, gorgeous tramping weather, festivals and sporting events.
- Accommodation prices rise in most destinations – book ahead.
- High season in ski towns is winter (June to August).
- Prime travelling time: fine weather, autumn colours, warm(ish) ocean and long evenings.
- Queues are shorter and popular road-trip routes are clear, particularly after Easter.
- Spring (September to November) means the end of snow season as well as cute lambs.
Low Season (May–Aug)
- Brilliant southern-hemisphere skiing and snowboarding from mid-June.
- Outside ski resorts, get accommodation deals and a seat in any restaurant.
- Warm-weather beach towns may be half asleep so reserve accommodation ahead.