Nepali rupee (Rs)
Budget: Less than US$50
- Dorm bed in a hostel: US$10
- Budget hotel room in Kathmandu: US$15–25
- Room, dinner and breakfast in a trekking lodge: US$12–15
- Trekking porter/guide: US$17/25 per day
- Organised camping trek: US$60–80 per person per day
- Midrange meal in Kathmandu: US$7–10
- Midrange hotel: US$25–80
Top End: More than US$150
- Top-end hotel in Kathmandu or lodge in Chitwan: US$150–250
- Mountain flight: US$199
- Private car hire with driver: US$80 per day
- Mustang trekking permit: US$500 for 10 days
Haggling is an integral part of most commercial transactions in Nepal, especially when dealing with souvenir shops, hotels and guides. Ideally, it should be an enjoyable social exchange, rather than a conflict of egos. A good deal is reached when both parties are happy; Rs 10 might make quite a difference to the seller, but to a foreign traveller it amounts to less than US$0.10.
There are two ATMs near the Jay Nepal Hotel.