Mine in Nauru


The first shipment of 2000 tonnes of phosphate left Nauru in 1907. By 1908 vast industrial architecture began to be installed. Between the world wars, the first of two huge cantilevers was built on the coast, enabli…
War in Nauru

Command Ridge

Command Ridge, where the Japanese kept watch in the 1940s, is Nauru's highest point and still holds some rusted WWII guns, including two large rotating six-barrel weapons that once fired 40kg (90oz) shells. There's …
Notable Building in Nauru

Former Presidents' House

Check out the view from the ruins of the once-splendid former Presidents' House, burned down in 2001 by a local mob who were furious at the government's mismanagement of funds. Ponder any potential lessons on the ex…