Flights & getting there
Offices for all airlines are at the airport, which also has an ATM. The airport turnoff is along the road running to Pambara junction, 1.5km from the main roundabout at the entrance to town. From the turnoff, it is 2km further.
Vilankulo is 20km east of the EN1, down a tarmac access road, with the turnoff at Pambara junction. Chapas (minibuses) run between the two throughout the day (Mtc20). Except for large buses to Maputo and chapas to Chibuene, all transport departs from the transport stand at the new market.
- Beira (Mtc550 to Mtc600, 10 hours) Buses depart Vilankulo between 4.30am and 6am at least every second day; book the afternoon before.
- Chimoio There’s no direct bus to Chimoio. You’ll need to take a Beira bus as far as Inchope junction (Mtc550 to Mtc600 from Vilankulo), and then get a minibus from there.
- Inhassoro (Mtc85, 1½ hours, several daily)
- Maputo (Mtc950, nine to 10 hours, usually two daily, departing from 3.30am) Book your ticket with the drivers the afternoon before and verify the time. Departures are from a stop in front of the small red shop one block up from the old market, opposite the tribunal and west of the main road. Coming from Maputo, departures from Junta are at about 5am.
- Maxixe (Mtc200, three to four hours) Several minibuses depart each morning to Maxixe (for Inhambane and Tofo). Allow six to seven hours for the entire journey from Vilankulo to Tofo.