Mozambican new metical (Mtc)
Budget: Less than US$50
- Dorm bed: US$10 or less
- Double room in a budget hotel: US$30–40
- Local-style meal: US$5
- Bus ticket from Maputo to Tofo: US$12
- Double room in a hotel: US$60–150
- Restaurant lunch or dinner: US$10
- Short taxi trip: US$8–10
Top end: More than US$200
- Double room in an upmarket hotel: from US$150
- Meal in a fancy restaurant: from US$15
- Flight from Maputo to Vilankulo: $150
Bargaining over prices is part of everyday life in Mozambique. However, apart from tourist-oriented places, don't assume that quoted prices are inflated. Especially in markets in smaller towns, the first price is often the 'real' price (ie, the same price locals pay). A bit of good-natured negotiating is never out of place, but if the seller refuses to budge, assume their initial price was one they feel is fair.
The closest ATM is about 4.5km before Tofo en route from Inhambane, at the petrol station.