Mozambican new metical (Mtc)
Budget: Less than US$50
- Dorm bed: US$10
- Double room in a budget hotel: US$50
- Local-style meal: US$5
- Chapa fare: US$0.10
- Double room in a hotel: US$100–US$150
- Restaurant lunch or dinner: US$10
- Short city taxi trip: US$5
Top end: More than US$200
- Double room in upmarket hotel: from US$250
- Meal in a fancy restaurant: from US$15
- Rental car: from US$100 per day
Bargaining over prices is part of everyday life in Mozambique. However, apart from tourist-oriented places, don't assume that quoted prices are inflated. Especially in markets in smaller towns, the first price is often the 'real' price (ie, the same price locals pay). A bit of good-natured negotiating is never out of place, but if the seller refuses to budge, assume their initial price was one they feel is fair.
There are 24-hour ATMs all over town, including at the airport. Changing cash is easy. Travellers cheques are not accepted anywhere.