Moldovan leu (plural lei); Transdniestran rouble
Budget: Less than €50
- Dorm bed: €5–10
- Double room in a budget hotel: €20–30
- Plǎcintǎ (stuffed pastries): €2.50
- Admission to museums: €0.50–1
- Double room in a hotel: €50–70
- Lunch and dinner in local restaurants: €20
- Local winery tour €20–50
Top End: More than €120
- Double room in a hotel: €80–140
- Lunch and dinner in upscale restaurants: €40–80
- Boutique winery tour: €100–200
No bargaining is required or expected in Moldova, though it's fine to haggle at the market.
Not recognised anywhere outside Transdniestr, the quirky local currency, the Transdniestran rouble, is the only way to pay for stuff in the breakaway republic, as credit cards are not accepted. You can easily exchange dollars, euros, Russian roubles or Moldovan lei at exchange kiosks and banks. The Bank of the Republic of Transdniestr (www.cbpmr.net) posts daily exchange rates.