When to Go
High Season (Jun–Aug)
- Mediterranean beaches and Turkish sites extremely crowded in summer.
- Religious holidays represent mini high seasons.
- Prices sky high and transport crowded; book accommodation well in advance.
Shoulder (Mar–May & Sep–Nov)
- Religious festivals aside, spring and autumn represent shoulder seasons in most countries.
- Weather often agreeable and crowds generally smaller.
- In Iran, prices are highest and crowds biggest during No Ruz (21 March to 3 April).
Low Season (Dec–Feb)
- Egypt’s Nile Valley and desert regions can be unbearably hot from June to August, when it's low season here.
- Turkey’s Mediterranean and Aegean beaches are almost deserted in winter.
- The Christmas–New Year period is high season in many countries.