Budget: Less than M$800
- Dorm bed: M$300
- Double room in a budget hotel: M$450–600
- Taco lunch: M$35–80
- Double room in midrange hotel: M$800–1600
- Dinner with drinks: M$200–400
- Short taxi trip: M$80–120
Top end: More than M$2000
- Top restaurant dinner and drinks: M$400–500
- Double room in an upmarket hotel: M$1600–5000
It's worth asking if a discount is available on room rates, especially if it's low season or you're staying more than two nights. In markets some haggling is expected. Unmetered taxis will often shave some pesos off the initial asking price.
Although most businesses in Vallarta accept US dollars as readily as they accept pesos, rates are generally poor. Banks with ATMs and casas de cambio (currency exchange) are abundant.