Mexican peso (M$)
Budget: Less than M$1000
- Dorm bed: M$230–325
- Double room in a budget hotel: M$600–800
- Tacos or economical meals: M$200–250
- Buses: M$50
- Double room in a hotel: M$800–1600
- Lunch and dinner in local restaurants: M$100–200
- Admission to museum or ruins: M$55–70
- Short taxi trip: M$25–50
Top end: More than M$2000
- Double room or suite in a hotel: M$1600–5000
- Lunch and dinner in upmarket restaurants: M$700–1500
- Scuba or snorkeling tours: M$800–1240
- Daily car rental: M$500–750
Most stores have set prices. You can do some friendly haggling in some arts and crafts markets, but don't get carried away – most of the artisans are just trying to make a living. Some hotels are willing to negotiate rates with walk-ins, especially during low season.
There are several banks with ATMs throughout the Zona Hotelera and downtown on Avenida Tulum. Cancún’s airport also has ATMs and money exchange.
- Restaurants About 15% unless service comes included on the check.
- Hotels Few people actually do it but you should leave about 5% to 10% of the room cost.
- Taxis Drivers don't expect tips unless a special service is provided.
- Baggers in supermarkets About M$3 per bag.
- Gas station attendants M$5 to M$10