Welcome to Mawson Station
Australia’s Mawson was established in 1954 on the southeastern shore of Horseshoe Harbour. Named after Douglas Mawson, it's usually approached through Iceberg Alley, a channel lined with huge tabular bergs that have run aground on underwater banks. Horseshoe Harbour, a 90m-deep anchorage protected by two arms of land, is the best natural harbor for thousands of kilometers. The station’s high-latitude location makes it ideal for studying cosmic rays, done in an underground vault in solid rock, 20m below the surface.
Despite its capacity for about 70, there are usually fewer than 24 people living at Mawson during summer, and about 16 in winter. It was formerly the principal home of Australia’s much-loved Antarctic huskies, before the Antarctic Treaty’s Protocol on Environmental Protection forced their removal.