Mauritian rupee (Rs)
Budget: Less than €100
- Double room in a budget hotel: €40–75
- Street food or self-catering for lunch: €5
- Dinner in a midrange restaurant: €20
- Double room in a midrange hotel with half-board: €80–150
- Lunch in midrange restaurants: €25
- Car hire: from €40 per day
- Occasional excursions: €50–100
Top end: More than €200
- Double room with half-board in a luxury hotel: from €150
- Lunch in a top-end restaurant: from €50
- All-day taxi excursions: €50–100 per day
- Catamaran excursions: from €50
Prices are fixed in supermarkets and upmarket and designer shops, but elsewhere it's always worth asking if the price being offered is the final one. This is particularly true in tourist areas and street markets. If you do decide to haggle, you're likely to get a lot further if you do so in a friendly spirit. You're unlikely to achieve much by trying to bargain on the price of excursions.
Shibani Foreign Exchange Small forex bureau handily located along the main road.