Vittoriosa attractions

Top Choice Fortress in Vittoriosa

Fort St Angelo

The Knights took over this medieval fort in 1530 and strengthened it, and Fort St Angelo served as the residence of the Grand Master of the Order until 1571 and was the headquarters of la Valette during the Great Si…
Historic Building in Vittoriosa

Inquisitor's Palace

The Inquisitor's Palace was built in the 1530s and served as law courts until the 1570s, when it became the tribunal (and prison) of the Inquisition, whose task it was to find and suppress heresy. Today the palace h…
Museum in Vittoriosa

Malta at War Museum

This museum, housed in a wartime police station, and the labyrinth of tunnels that lies beneath it, pays testament to Malta's pivotal part in WWII, and brings vividly to life the suffering of the islanders. As well …
Museum in Vittoriosa

Maritime Museum

The old naval bakery, built in the 1840s and operating until the 1950s, now houses a wealth of material on Malta’s maritime past. The collection includes huge Roman anchors, traditional Maltese fishing boats and mod…
Historic Building in Vittoriosa

Norman House

Owner Charlie Bugeja has carefully restored this building and is always keen to show visitors around. On the 1st floor, the twin-arched window, with its slender central pillar and zigzag decoration, dates from the 1…
Historic Building in Vittoriosa

Armoury

Built in the 16th century, this was used by the Knights to store ammunition, and had a door on each of its four sides for ease of access. It was later used as a hospital during the Great Siege and the British conver…
Square in Vittoriosa

Misraħ ir-Rebħa

This compact square features the Victory Monument, erected in 1705 in memory of the Great Siege, and an 1880 statue of St Lawrence, patron saint of Vittoriosa. On the eastern side of the square, the magnificent buil…
Church in Vittoriosa

Chapel of St Anne

The 15th-century chapel in Upper Fort St Angelo is where the Knights of St John first worshipped on their arrival in Malta. Tours of Upper Fort St Angelo are occasionally offered from April to October; check the Her…
Church in Vittoriosa

Church of St Lawrence

Built on the site of an 11th-century Norman church, St Lawrence's served as the conventual church of the Knights of St John from 1530 until the move to St John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta.
Historic Building in Vittoriosa

Sacra Infermeria

The first hospital to be built by the Knights on their arrival in Malta. It now serves as a convent and is closed to the public.