Malta in detail

Entry & Exit Formalities

For virtually all travellers, entering Malta is a very straightforward procedure. In many cases, flights into the country will be from other Schengen countries, further reducing the complexity of the process.

Customs Regulations

No restrictions if you're travelling from another EU country, though you're likely to be questioned if amounts seem excessive. If you're entering Malta from outside the EU, the duty-free allowance per person is 1L of spirits, 4L of wine, and 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco. Duty will be charged on any gifts over €430 that are intended for local residents.


Citizens of most EU member states can travel to Malta with their national identity cards. All other travellers must have a full valid passport.


Malta is in the Schengen area. Also, visas are not required for citizens of EU and EEA countries. Other nationalities should check

Further Information

Everyone is required to have a valid passport (or ID card for EU citizens) to enter Malta. EU citizens are entitled to travel freely around the member states of the EU, and settle anywhere within its territory.

Malta is part of the Schengen area. Citizens from some non-EU countries are required to hold a visa when travelling to the Schengen area. Generally, a short-stay visa issued by one of the Schengen states entitles its holder to travel throughout the 25 Schengen states for up to three months within a six-month period. Visas for visits exceeding that period are at the discretion of the Malta authorities. Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand and the US can stay for up to 90 days without a visa; other nationalities can check their visa requirements online at

If you wish to stay for more than 90 days, you will have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit via the Department for Citizenship and Expatriates Affairs ( You will need two photographs, a letter regarding your reasons for staying (an English-language course, employment, self-employment etc), a completed application form, evidence of your means of support, and documents showing your health insurance. More information is available at