Manoel Island, which can be accessed via a short bridge from Gżira, is largely taken up by boat-building yards and the partly restored Fort Manoel. The island was used as a quarantine zone by the Knights of St John;…
The Sliema waterfront is edged by flattish rocks, with stepped access at various points. It's a good place to swim from, though the water tends to be deep. There are also facilities for hire (sunbeds, water sports) …
Tigné Point, a promontory east of Sliema, was one of the sites where the Turkish commander Dragut Reis ranged his cannons to pound Fort St Elmo during the Great Siege in 1565. The tip of the peninsula is still known…
A 17th-century plague hospital on the south side of Manoel Island. More recently, the hospital served as an isolation hospital during WWI and was last used during an epidemic in 1936.
'Our Lady Star of the Sea' was built in 1877. On the third Sunday in August, the church's revered Our Lady Stella Maris statue is paraded through nearby streets.
Built in 1872 by Paul Vella, a Valletta priest. During WWII, the church's Franciscan friary was bombed and 23 people were tragically killed.
Polygonal fort built by the Knights in 1793 to defend Marsamxett Harbour and later occupied by the British.
Seaside tower built by the British in Gothic style in the 19th century; now houses a restaurant.
A fortified coastal tower, built in the 17th century by Grand Master de Redin.
Pleasant play park by the sea.