Attractions

Top Choice Cave in Ipoh

Sam Poh Tong

First discovered by a monk in 1890, this temple, 5km south of Ipoh, is still used by nuns and monks pursuing solitary meditation. To the right of the entrance is an ornamental garden with ceramic lions, miniature sh…
Cave in Ipoh

Kek Look Tong

With a craggy cave mouth beneath a towering cliff, Kek Look Tong (1920) has the most impressive approach of all Ipoh's temples. Three Sages dominate the central cavern, while towards the back a cheerful Chinese Budd…
Cave in Ipoh

Perak Tong

Developed in 1926 by Chinese Buddhists Chong Sen Yee and his wife, this temple (7km north of Ipoh) is popular for its mesmerising murals and panoramic views. The first staircase leads to a majestic seated Buddha (12…
Monument in Ipoh

Birch Memorial Clock Tower

The clock tower, with a 1.95m-diameter bell, was erected in 1909 in memory of James WW Birch, Perak’s first British Resident. Birch was murdered in 1875 at Pasir Salak by local Malay chiefs. A frieze featuring Moses…
Historic Building in Ipoh

Train Station

It's no wonder that locals compare it to the Taj Mahal: Ipoh's train station is a harmonious Moorish and Victorian architectural masterpiece, framed by broad arches and capped with a broad white dome. Completed in 1…
Museum in Ipoh

Muzium Darul Ridzuan

North of the padang (field), this museum is housed in a 1926 villa built for a wealthy Chinese tin miner. The museum features displays on the history of tin mining (downstairs) and forestry (upstairs) in Perak. Most…
Historic Building in Ipoh

Courthouse

Ipoh’s courthouse was completed in 1928 by AB Hubback, the same architect who designed Ipoh’s train station and the town hall.
Historic Building in Ipoh

Town Hall

Ipoh’s gleaming white town hall dates back to 1916 and is a popular spot for wedding-photo shoots. Visitors are often allowed to wander inside; the upper floor has good views of the colonial train station.
Mosque in Ipoh

Masjid Panglima Kinta

This late-19th-century mosque, attractively painted white and sky blue, is tucked away in Ipoh's new town, on the east bank of the Kinta River.
Historic Building in Ipoh

St Michael’s Institution

A fine example of colonial architecture, this school, on the padang’s northern flank, was founded by the Catholic La Salle brothers in 1912. Not open to the public.