Bukit Fraser is named after Louis James Fraser, an adventurous Scotsman who migrated to Malaysia in the 1890s. Trying his luck in the country’s booming tin-mining industry, Fraser set up a mule-train operation to transport the ore across the hills and ran gambling and opium dens. These all had vanished (along with Fraser himself) by 1917 when Bishop Ferguson-Davie of Singapore came looking for Fraser. Though he was unable to find the Scotsman, the bishop did recognise the area’s potential as a hill station and wrote a report to the high commissioner on his return to Singapore. A couple of years later this ‘little England’ in the heart of the Malaysian jungle began to be developed.