When to Go
High Season (Jul & Aug)
- Especially busy because of European school holidays.
- It’s winter – balmy temperatures by day and cool nights (cold in the highlands).
- There’s also a spike of high-season activity at Christmas/New Year.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun, Sep–Dec)
- The best time to go: warm temperatures and fewer visitors.
- Because of the rain, some attractions close early (November), others reopen late (June).
Low Season (Jan–Mar)
- Cyclone season: the east coast is particularly vulnerable, but all coastal areas are susceptible.
- Rainy season everywhere – many areas inaccessible.
- Discounts available in most hotels.