When to go and weather
High Season (Jul & Aug)
- Especially busy because of European school holidays.
- It’s winter – balmy temperatures by day, cool nights (cold in the highlands), stormy seas and rain on the east coast.
- There’s also a spike of high-season activity at Christmas/New Year.
Shoulder (Apr–Jun, Sep–Dec)
- The best time to go: warm temperatures and fewer visitors.
- Some areas don't open fully until April or May if the roads haven't dried up from the summer rain.
Low Season (Jan–Mar)
- Cyclone season: all coastal areas are susceptible.
- Rainy season everywhere – some areas inaccessible.
- January and February are some of the best months for wildlife viewing.
- Discounts available in many hotels.