Eastern Madagascar in detail
When to go and weather
- The eastern coastline has a tropical climate that is distinct from the rest of the mainland and the best times to visit tend to be quite different to elsewhere.
- Although July to September is whale-watching season, and therefore a highlight for many visitors, it's important to bear in mind that it is winter and that the weather tends to be pretty rough, with stormy seas, high winds and rain – basically not ideal for beaches.
- The best time for sea-based activities but also for wildlife viewing are October to February.
- The wettest months are January to March, and then May to July.
- Although cyclones can occur from January to March, they are punctual threats.