Welcome to Diekirch
Set on the banks of the Sûre, Diekirch played a pivotal role during WWII: US troops crossed the river here on January 18 1945 during the bloody Battle of the Ardennes (aka the Battle of the Bulge), which ultimately brought the Nazi's reign to an end. Today it is the Grand Duchy's military headquarters and home to the country's most important war museum.
In 1977, Diekirch became Luxembourg's first town to have a pedestrianised centre, which centres on Place de la Libération. Locally, the town is synonymous with the nation's most famous beer, which is still brewed here.