Kuldīga’s Old Town orbits three town squares: the medieval square, the town-hall square and the ‘new’ square. The town-hall square, known as Rātslaukums, is the most attractive and makes a good place to start your trip. The new town hall, built in 1860 in Italian Renaissance style, is at the southern end of the square, and Kurzeme’s oldest wooden house – built in 1670, reconstructed in 1742 and renovated in 1982 – stands here on the northern corner of Pasta iela. Further along Baznīcas iela, the unmissable German timber-framed house is known as Duke Jakob's pharmacy, although these days it is a residential building. Liepajas iela is Old Town's main commercial drag leading to the New Town, its margin marked by Teleports, Gleb Pantelejev's striking sculpture, which physically depicts the teleportation from the medieval Kuldīga to the 21st century.
The Lutheran St Katrīna’s Church is the place of worship for the town's largest religious denomination. Katrina (St Catherine) is Kuldīga’s patron saint and protector (she’s even featured on the town’s coat of arms). The first church on the site was built in the 1200s, and the current incarnation dates back to Duke Jakob’s rule in the mid-1600s.
Other religious buildings remain from the times when, like many places in Latvia, Kuldīga was more culturally diverse, with sizable German, Jewish and Russian communities. The whitewashed opulently decorated Holy Trinity Church, also built on orders of Duke Jakob, is home for a small Catholic congregation The freshly restored Kuldīga Synagogue, built in 1875, now houses the town's library and arts centre. Kuldīga's Jewish community was wiped out in the Holocaust. The imposing Russian Orthodox Church of Virgin's Shroud caters for a tiny community and only opens for an occasional service.