Kuldīga attractions

Waterfall in Kuldīga

Ventas Rumba (Kuldīga Waterfall)

In a country that is acutely short of verticals but rich on horizontals, landscape features appear to be blatantly two-dimensional – even waterfalls. Spanning 240m, Ventas Rumba is branded Europe's widest, but as it…
Ruins in Kuldīga

Livonian Order Castle

Cross the teeny Alekšupīte ravine to reach the site of this castle, built from 1242 to 1245, but ruined during the Great Northern War. The Castle Watchman’s House was built in 1735 to protect the ruins. Legend has i…
Ruins in Kuldīga

Old Castle Hill

The large old castle hill (pilskalns), 2.5km north of town on the western bank of the Venta, was the fortress of Lamekins, the Cour who ruled much of Kurzeme before the 13th-century German invasion. Legend has it th…
Church in Kuldīga

St Katrīna’s Church

This Lutheran church isn’t particularly beautiful, but it’s the most important house of worship in town, since Katrina (St Catherine) is Kuldīga’s patron saint and protector (she’s even featured on the town’s coat o…
Cave in Kuldīga

Riežupe Sand Caves

Located 5km outside of town along the unpaved Krasta iela, Riežupe Sand Caves feature 460m of labyrinthine tunnels that can be visited by candlelight. They’re a chilly 8°C, so bring a warm sweater. The cave is acces…
Museum in Kuldīga

Kuldīga Historic Museum

Founded by a local German school director, the newly restored museum is housed in what a local legend claims to be Russian pavilion at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris. Its 2nd floor has been redesigned as an apar…
Historic Building in Kuldīga

Castle Watchman’s House

The Castle Watchman’s House was built in 1735 to protect the ruins of the Livonian Order Castle. Legend has it that the house was the site of executions and beheadings, and the stream behind the house ran red with t…
Architecture in Kuldīga

Oldest Wooden House

Kurzeme’s oldest wooden house – built in 1670, reconstructed in 1742 and renovated in 1982 – stands on the northern corner of Pasta iela.
Landmark in Kuldīga

Town Hall

The new town hall, built in 1860 in Italian Renaissance style, is at the southern end of Rātslaukums.
Gardens in Kuldīga

Sculpture Garden

The lovely gardens feature a monument to Suiti grannies, among others.