- Greetings Greetings are important. Never launch into a conversation, even when just asking for directions, without first greeting the person with whom you're speaking. Learning a few words in Swahili helps.
- Eating If eating in someone's home, leave a small amount on your plate to show your hosts that you’ve been satisfied. Never, ever handle food with the left hand! If others are eating with their hand, do the same, even if cutlery is provided.
- Interactions with children Don’t hand out sweets or pens to children on the streets, since it encourages begging.
- Be patient If you’re in a frustrating situation, be patient, friendly and considerate. Never lose your temper as a confrontational attitude won’t go down well.
- Taking photos Always ask before taking photos of people. Never photograph someone if they don’t want you to. If you agree to send someone a photo, make sure you do so.