Kenyan shilling (KSh)
Budget: Less than US$100
- Hostel or budget hotel: US$15–50
- Camping: from US$20
- Eat in local restaurants: US$2–5
- Travel by matatu (minibus): US$1–5
- Share wildlife drives with other travellers: US$20–40
- Double room in midrange hotel: US$75–150
- Independent safari with car rental (two people): US$75–100 per day
- Full board in lodges: US$150–250
Top end: More than US$250
- Double room in top-end hotel: from US$200
- lunch and dinner in top-end restaurant: US$30–40
- No-expenses-spared safari in luxury tented camps: from US$600
As a general rule, bargaining is expected in markets and street stalls, especially those that sell handicrafts aimed at tourists. It is sometimes possible to negotiate a discount for taxis (especially if chartered for a set period) and accommodation (depending on the season), but this varies from one place to the next. Most other prices are usually fixed.
Barclays ATM and foreign-exchange facilities.