Two words: get some! A travel-insurance policy to cover theft, loss and medical problems is a very sensible precaution. Worldwide travel insurance is available at You can buy, extend and claim online anytime – even if you’re already on the road.

  • Some policies specifically exclude ‘dangerous activities’, which can even include motorcycling, scuba diving and trekking. If such activities are on your agenda, you’ll need a fully comprehensive policy, which may be more expensive. Using a locally acquired motorcycle licence may not be valid under your policy.
  • You may prefer a policy that pays doctors or hospitals directly rather than you having to pay on the spot and claim later. If you have to claim later, make sure you keep all documentation.
  • Some policies ask you to call back (reverse charges) to a centre in your home country where an immediate assessment of your problem is made. Be aware that reverse-charge calls are only possible to certain countries from Kenya.
  • Check that the policy covers ambulances or an emergency flight home.

Local Agencies

If you’re travelling through Africa for some time or heading to more remote corners of the country, consider signing up with a local service. Check with your insurance company that you can contact the local service direct in the event of a serious emergency without having to confirm it with your company at home first.

AAR Health Services Comprehensive medical network that covers Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda and offers a road and local service as well as emergency air evacuation to any suitable medical facility in East Africa. In addition to Nairobi, there's also a Mombasa office.

Flying Doctors Service Part of the African Medical and Research Foundation (AMREF), with a 24-hour air-ambulance service out of Nairobi’s Wilson Airport.